It’s time for the holidays and that can mean lots of cooking decorating and, of course, cleaning in preparation. While cleaning, be careful and take steps to avoid injury. Accidents can happen in an instant and could put an avoidable damper on your festivities. Follow our four tips for staying safe while cleaning.
- Clean a little at a time – Doing a marathon day of cleaning to make up for weeks of neglect can spell trouble. When you’re tired, you can make mistakes and accidents can become more likely. Create a cleaning schedule and tackle a bit at a time.
- Prepare for success – Wear comfortable shoes with a good sole and have a sturdy footstool ready. Even when cleaning those hard-to-reach corner cobwebs, you want to make sure you have a solid footing to avoid falls.
- Clean purposefully – Cleaning with a plan can not only help you stay organized but also safe. Clean each room from top to bottom before moving on to the next. Having a process can help prevent you from, for example, slipping on a floor you forgot was wet from mopping.
- Use products correctly – Always read and follow the directions on the product label. Follow any safety recommendations listed, like allowing for ventilation or wearing gloves. Be careful when opening bottles or which way sprays are facing to avoid potential eye injuries.
- Keep products up and away – If possible, plan your cleaning for when children are out of the house and pets aren’t underfoot. If that’s not possible, be sure to keep products up and out of reach while cleaning.
Ready to get started? Check out our holiday cleaning guides! We wish you and yours a very happy holiday season!