Today [NOV 15] is National Clean Out Your Refrigerator Day! Yes, that’s really a thing. And it’s today. So get excited! Because we’re going to tell you how to celebrate right.
First, you want your fridge as empty as possible before you clean it, so put off a big shop until you’ve cleaned.
Now… follow these steps.
- Unplug the fridge and slide a coil brush under the kick plate to remove dust. (That’s the grille at the front bottom of the unit.)
- Empty the whole fridge. (Yes, the whole thing.) Throw out anything that is too old.
- Remove the drawers, and scrub them with a sponge, warm water and liquid dish soap.
- Spray the empty interior with multi-surface spray. Wipe down the walls and each shelf.
- Plug the fridge back in, and return the drawers and food.
- Put a new, small box of baking soda in the back to keep it smelling fresh.
Don’t forget the outside of the fridge! For stainless finishes, use a microfiber cloth and stainless steel surface spray, and rub in the direction of the grain. For enameled steel, use a multi-surface spray and paper towels.
You’ve earned yourself a rest, so… hold off on that grocery shopping for another day. Put your feet up and celebrate a job well done.